Monday, August 17, 2009

Adjustments

It has been three and a half weeks since Josh got his band and I am happy to say that he is doing great in it. Today we had a routine check up and the therapist was pleased with his progress. His forehead is really starting to round out and the back of his head is no longer noticeably flat on the left side. Josh looks adorable in his band and when we take it off for his bath (nightly because he stinks like no other) he looks like a totally different kid to me. Hopefully he will not need to be wearing it for to much longer though!

While Josh has been adjusting to the band smoothly the general public has not been adjusting as well. When we first got the band we were given an article written by a mom whose baby was in a band. In the article she tells of how her baby went from being cooed at and talked to in public to being completely ignored. At the time, I knew the article was given to prepare us for the same but I figured since it was written over five years ago that maybe times had changed. Well I was wrong! No longer do people ask me what Josh's name is or how old he is. People don't smile at him or talk to him anymore. The cashier at Sprouts yesterday was visibly excited to see the baby I was talking to in the car seat while I was in her line and once I got up to her, she took one look at him in his band and then didn't say a word to me about him. I know that people have no idea what the helmet on his head is for and most people probably think that he is sick or handicapped. I just think that would be more of a reason for people to be nice and talk to parents about their baby, but I guess people are just scared and don't want to offend. Oh well, I know my baby is adorable and hopefully by decorating his band people won't be as afraid to talk to us. I may just start talking to people randomly when I see them staring, it could be fun!

Here is Josh in his newly (almost complete) decorated band







Before I finish writing I just want to say thank you to the father that sat in front of us at 11:00 mass last Sunday. I know you will never read this but I'm sure by putting this out there, somehow the universe will get the message to you. You made my week by paying attention to my son, your silly faces and kind words meant more to me than you know!

2 comments:

  1. I love the decorations. You did such a good job. He is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dinosaurs! Are those stickers? PS. Josh looks cute regardless. Thumb your nose at everyone else.

    ReplyDelete