Friday, July 22, 2011

California 2011

A few weeks ago our family headed to California to spend time with my grandparents. We packed up the car Friday night and headed out on Saturday morning. The drive was good minus the mini meltdown Josh had when he needed to use the bathroom 15 miles from Blythe. We were all exhausted when we got to my grandparent's house and spent the rest of the day taking it easy.

Sunday morning we headed to church at the parish I grew up going to when my family visited. Though very Catholic, this church truly makes me thankful for the community that we have at our church. Mass was a struggle to get through but with enough fruit snacks and coloring books, the kids made it. In the evening we headed to Laguna Beach to meet up with family from Eric's side. I haven't been to Laguna since I was a child and forgot how crowded it can get especially on the weekend. We ended up in a not so crowded spot once on the beach and the kids had a great time. I personally HATE California beaches, but they are a little harder to hate when watching the pure enjoyment on your kid's faces as they play in the sand and water. After the beach, we went to Ruby's Diner for dinner and then headed back.

Emma contemplating the water

Getting in after a little persuasion from her cousin Kate

Josh checking out the water (later he and Eric got in but of course I didn't think to take a picture) and me with my huge stomach and awful beach hair :o)

Monday was July 4th and after naps we met back up with Eric's family for a picnic in the park. Their mommies club had reserved a spot in a nice park and rented a bounce house. Everyone brought tons of food and there was also a ton of kids for Emma and Josh to run around with. Around 6:45 we got on our way and I assumed we would put the kids down when we got back. Little did I know that my grandpa had sent my cousins off to buy fireworks and that the entire neighborhood comes out at dusk to start lighting off their own fireworks. Emma and Josh were so excited watching the neighbors that we allowed them to stay up late and be a part of the festivities.

The kids discovered the Frisbee in my grandpa's shed and played every day with my grandma

My grandpa and Josh (my grandpa really likes Josh, he hardly ever smiles for the camera)
I love their faces, such awe

After the 10th time, they were old pros

The next day we took an impromptu trip to Disneyland which I will blog about later!

On Wednesday we left for home after spending the morning with my grandparents. I hate saying goodbye to them, it gets harder every time I do it. Despite the sadness, it makes my heart happy the kids have the opportunity to know their great grandparents and that we will be able to share these memories with them as they grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment