Growing up with a Golden Retriever, I have always had a special place in my heart for the breed. My childhood dog, Amber was the most wonderful dog a child could ask for and I always knew that I would love my children to grow up with the same type of dog. I thought that the likelihood of getting a purebred Golden would be near impossible without going through a breeder but while researching online, I came across the AZGRC. After submitting our application we waited for approval and before we could receive it, a house inspection needed to be done. In December a lady who works for the organization came to our house and brought her Golden to check things out. About two weeks later we received confirmation that we had been approved and that we could begin looking at the available dogs through the AZGRC. At the time there were only 2 dogs compatible with children (they take their dog placements very serious and each dog is fostered before it is offered to be adopted) but they came as a pair and I wasn't sure we were ready for that. I spoke to the woman in charge about fostering dogs instead of adopting so that we would have the first chance at any new dog (good with children) coming in being placed with us. I also asked her to tell me about the pair that I had seen online and she proceeded to tell me about what fantastic dogs they were. I agreed for a family meeting with the dogs at the foster family's home which is standard procedure for adopting through the AZGRC. I really thought after meeting the pair that I would realize that 2 was just too much for us but I was wrong. They were wonderful dogs and coming home from meeting them, Eric and I agreed to have the dogs over to our house for a weekend (the next step in adopting). There were a few things that we wanted to see while having the dogs in our element and we felt that we wouldn't know unless we had them over.
Roxy and Noki came on Friday evening and left tonight. We had a great weekend with them and they truly are terrific dogs. Emma is very good with both and the fears that I had about Josh not responding well to them was put to rest. I was sad to see them go tonight but Eric and I talked about it and we are ready to have them over for 3 weeks now (the last step in adopting) to see how everything works out having them for a longer stay. I didn't think I would ever want more than one dog but these two have changed my mind. I felt both fit in with our family perfectly this weekend and I am sure that the 3 week visit is going to solidify this feeling. I am excited to get everything set up so that we can have both over again soon and hopefully make their stay permanent.
Roxy



Noki


The dogs

Emma and Roxy
No comments:
Post a Comment