Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sleep baby sleep

Is there anything more precious than watching a child sleep? Every night before I head to bed, I go in and check on the kids. I know that they are fine and don't need to be checked on but it is something my parents always did with me. I can remember being 20 and my dad still coming in my room at night whether I was asleep or not to check on me one last time. I love going in and saying one final prayer over them and I love watching them as they sleep. Their faces are so peaceful and I wonder what they are dreaming about. I love watching them breathe, watching their chests rising and falling so evenly and I imagine what they will be when they get older. For me, it is the time that melts away the old day and reminds me of what a gift my children truly are. It reminds me of just how precious and innocent they are. I love looking at them and remembering other times I have stood over their beds when they were smaller and marveling at how much they have grown. I am sure that 20 years from now I will still check on my children before I go to bed and I am sure they will wonder why, just as I did. But I am sure when they have their own children they will understand, just as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment