Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Icky Picky

If you ever read the Ramona books as a child you might remember that Icky Picky was the name of the Quimby's cat. The name Icky Picky came from the fact that the cat did not like anyone or anything. Here at the Hildwine house we have our own Icky Picky, otherwise known as Emma Grace.

Emma is not entirely like Icky Picky the cat because she really does like most things. The thing Emma is most icky picky about is food. As a baby Emma was a good eater but as the terrible twos loomed she became a very picky eater. I was told that it was normal for toddlers to be picky and to let her eat what she wanted, so I did just that. For two plus years, I have catered to Emma's picky eating in hopes of her growing out of it (which I was told they do). Not anymore, I am offically putting my foot down! Tomorrow Emma turns four, she is in preschool, and I am tired of accommodating icky picky.

For the past several weeks Emma has been served what the rest of the family eats for dinner. If she doesn't like it, she goes to bed hungry. Sounds rough I know but I have learned some amazing things from this. First, if Emma doesn't like the way something looks she convinces herself it tastes yucky. Second, she eats a terrific breakfast the next morning when she doesn't eat dinner (something we always had a hard time getting her to do). Third, Emma will eat when left at the table by herself and the rest of us are playing or taking a bath. Fourth, Emma thinks she hates every kind of meat except turkey so if you tell her that she is eating turkey, down it goes. Fifth and most important, Emma does not hate the taste of the foods she refuses to eat, she is just stubborn.

This girl is obviously my daughter and likes having a battle of wills, too bad she didn't realize who she was going head to head with. Good luck Emma, your days of picky eating are numbered!

No comments:

Post a Comment