Monday, December 27, 2010

Merry Christmas

Well another Christmas has come and gone. Sometimes it is crazy how you plan, prepare, and shop for this day and then it's over in a flash. This Christmas was a whirlwind of family, presents, and thanking the Lord for the gift of His Son.

We began Christmas Eve at my parent's house and were blessed to have all the immediate family in one place. Eric arrived first with the kids while I picked up a special early present for them (which was originally going to be from Santa but he was just not sure how to deliver her). After playing with their new dog for a bit, the cousins arrived and then true chaos began. We ate dinner in the extremely small dining area and it was very cozy trying to fit 11 chairs and 1 highchair in that area. After dinner the gift giving began and there were presents everywhere!

Once presents were opened, we headed home to put out a cookie and milk for Santa and a carrot Emma peeled by herself for the reindeer to share (because sharing is better according to Emma). Eric and I were actually in bed by 10:30 which was a Christmas miracle of its own, mostly because I was feeling so icky from a cold and ear infection I had been fighting but also because I thought ahead this year and had everything already wrapped.

Christmas morning was exciting as Emma is at the age of true understanding now. I always thought she got it before, and she did understand somethings but this year she got it 100%. She was adorable as she came into the playroom where Josh and I (also the tree) were. She started jumping up and down and shouting. As she got more excited, Josh also got more excited. Before long they were both jumping up and down chanting Merry Christmas, the excitement woke Eric up and soon the four of us were exchanging gifts. By 8:30 we were headed to The Hildwine's house to exchange gifts and eat a yummy breakfast (everything Eric's mom makes is yummy). We didn't stay too long, Iyla and Josh were getting tired and Eric's parents were flying to Florida in a few hours to spend a few days with his grandparents so it worked out to have a quick morning together.

After some much needed early naps we headed back over to my parent's house for dinner. It was much quieter at the house this time around since we were minus a few members of the family. After dinner, Josh went to bed while Emma played with her cousin Abby and my parents, Eric, and I played a card game.

It was a beautiful Christmas and I am grateful to have spent it with the people I love the most. It is overwhelming at times going from place to place and every year I think to myself how can I make this easier but really family is part of what the holiday is about. As we have been teaching Emma, God gave us the gift of baby Jesus and that is why we celebrate Christmas by giving gifts, and I truly know the best gift I have been given is the gift of family.

Emma and Josh's Christmas gift from us

Christmas Eve with the Wiemann's


Josh with my dad's glasses on
Christmas morning with the Hildwine's


No comments:

Post a Comment